Saturday, July 23, 2011

Think brain, think!

Connecting Threads is having a design a fabric contest. And for the life of me I can't focus on what I specifically would like to submit. I want it to be good, but what direction to go in? Something focused on natural elements? Something for children? We all know there aren't enough fabrics out there that aren't boy or girl specific. But what ever I do it has to 'say' Tammy, and I'm not sure I know how to do that on fabric.


The basic run down of the contest is this:
The winner will receive $2,000 and a contract with Connecting Threads to have them produce their fabric in 2012, plus royalties on reprints (if any), and free yardage of your fabric. If you win, your design will belong solely to Connecting Threads. Submissions can be made between August 1st and 10th. For those of you interested, you can see all the details here: Connecting Threads Contest Info Page.


Now, I'm pretty confident I can come up with something good, maybe even great. And it would be awesome to see my idea of a fabric line come to life if I were to win. 
But I don't know how I would feel about Connecting Threads solely owning my work. I'd feel a lot more comfortable simply licensing it to them and maintaining the rights to my work, but I have to be realistic. I'm an unknown person, who probably isn't going to win this thing. I'm not some hotshot designer that can demand complete ownership of their work. And the opportunity to have something I designed become commercial would be very cool. So, I guess I submit something as a lark and see what happens.


Oh, PS. . . I finished Audrey's Dr. Seuss crib sheet. It's pretty busy, but both she and I love it. I'm so glad I was inspired by Dana of Made.

No comments: