Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Recipes I can repeat!

My husband is a picky eater. I'm not saying it to be mean, it's just honest. There are so many things I've made that he just isn't in to eating. . . and I'm starting to forget what they are. So, time to start writing down what went over well and can be repeated. Preferably in a searchable format from any where--hence the use of this blog.


So without further ado we have a couple contenders:


Minted Peas
Boil fresh shelled sweet peas for 2 minutes. 
Drain and return to the pot, adding a tsp of butter and 1/2 of dried mint. 
Cook for a minute or two and serve warm.
~::~
Sunshine Carrots
My Aunt Brenda and cousin Ashleigh have been making their carrots this way for years. Ashleigh likes to add caraway sometimes too.


1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 tbsp of mince orange zest if you have it, 1 tbsp of peeled and minced ginger (I freeze mine peeled and use a grater to "mince" it as needed), 1 tbsp of maple syrup, 1 tbsp of oil, fresh ground pepper.


Place all the ingredients in the pot and turn the head to medium-low. 
Bring to a boil and cook covered for 5 min.
Uncover and raise the heat and continue to cook until liquid is mostly gone. Lower the temperature and continue to cook until tender.
Serve warm (although, I don't mind this one as cold leftovers).
~::~
I have a couple different cookbooks with recipes for cooked cucumber. I'm curious, but I think I might have a hard time getting Tim to consider even trying that one. Maybe when Ashleigh is in Ontario again she'll be up for it. . . 

No comments: