Saturday, June 9, 2012

Life

After work, I pick up groceries while my husband picks up the kids from day care. Once we get home, we cook dinner, clean up, and put the kids to bed. We don't have time for each other, let alone anyone else. There's got to be a better way. --Working mother

Does this sound familiar to you? It does to me, and I don't even have to pick my daughter up from daycare currently, since she's cared for in our home! Our lives were hectic prior to having a child, and as she gets older and starts to have more activities and "play dates", I'm sure it's just going to get worse.

I wanted to change this. I want more balance in our lives, but I didn't know how. Where do you start something like this? I recognize that this isn't something you just flip a switch and then BAM you are in a new life. But I need to figure out the right path for us. So, I've quit my job and I've decided to open a small bookkeeping business (working toward the certification now). 


For anyone else (including a man, not just a woman) who is trying to rethink what they want to do with their lives, I highly recommend this book:


It helped me focus on what I needed to decide and what needed to be accomplished while not being totally annoying to read. The author has a great sense of humour, and it comes across in what she is writing. 


Please note: While I decided to leave my job immediately, this is not the course of action the author would recommend for most. It was just the right decision for me and my family. Please don't construe my quick action as something this book will push you to do.

No comments: