Saturday, May 19, 2012

Broiled Tilapia with a creamy, dairy-free, mustard dill sauce

I don't mind cooking. But I don't want to make two different meals for dinner, or deal with a young child who's annoyed she can't eat what we're eating. So, I've been trying to find meals suitable for a toddler who's allergic to milk protein and soy, yet still appetizing for my husband and I, and cost effective.


Tomorrow, my daughter is going to try fish for the first time. And I've found a way to make it yummy for my husband and I, yet totally something she can eat. The bonus is, it doesn't require any of her crazy expensive dairy- and soy-free replacement foods!


Broiled Tilapia
Fillets of tilapia (or other similar thin white fish like sole, haddock, bass, pike, etc.)
Olive oil (I actually use Blue Menu omega oil since I like the flavour mixture of olive, grape seed, and flax oil)
Salt and pepper
Dill
2 tbsp dijon mustard (make sure it's soy free)
2 tbsp mayonnaise (we use Helman's olive oil mayo since it's soy free)
1 lemon


1) Turn the broiler on in the oven and preheat it while you are getting everything ready.


2) Prep a pan (that will comfortably fit your fish fillets in a single layer) by spraying or brushing it with oil. I'm not sure if PAM is soy-free or not, we use a pressurized sprayer that you fill with your own oil and pump yourself to pressurize.


3) Lay out your fish in the pan and drizzle the fish with olive oil. Then sprinkle approximately 1/4 tsp of of dill per piece of fish and also sprinkle with salt and pepper.


4) Mix the mustard, the mayonnaise, the juice from the lemon, and a good shaking of dill together in a bowl and stir until you get a smooth consistency.


5) You're oven should be preheated sufficiently at this point, put the fish in the oven for 6-8 minutes. It should be cooked through and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Let sit for a minute before serving with the sauce drizzled on top.


Yummy! Of course you'll selected the number of fillets you need based on the number you are feeding. I think the sauce could easily be enough for 4 to 6 fillets.


It's super easy and healthy. I love the fact that it allows me to get dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes! We had it with baked sweet potato and a cranberry quinoa salad tonight. Oh, and by the way. . . I learned today that you can make quinoa in a rice cooker. Super easy!

No comments: